Monday, August 29, 2005

Adopt a staff member?

This will be a short one ... kids just started school today and I have writer's cramp from filling out tens of forms. But one little item caught my eye.

On one of numerous sheets, there was notice of an Adopt A Staff Member at the kids' elementary school. The idea is to adopt a staff member and send them little gifts, cards, etc for their morale. (Hey, I'd like some more of that kinda thing, too. Who wouldn't.)

But the use of adopt in this case, of course, didn't set well with me. So I filled out the form with an arrow for the reader to see my remarks on the back. I explained that as an adoptive mom the use of adopt/adoption in this case was offensive. I'll be happy to sponsor, support, hug and kiss a staff member if they so choose, but please don't use adoption in this context.

I signed it with my email and phone #. I'm sure when it's read I'll go straight to the PIA Parent List with a gold star by my name.

Ask me if I care. Really, ask me. Puh-leeeeeeze.

:=)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roberta,

Good for you, girl. I don't like those "Adopt-a-" programs either.

Had a conversation with a bio mom about it just recently and I finally was able to put my finger on why. She wondered why I mentioned that I hate those programs. We're good friends, so she can do that.

It's not only offensive, but it fakes cheap emotion by "hanging on the coat-tails" of our real life emotions. There must be a more precise, authentic way of describing what the program is attempting to accomplish.

Great website, by the way.

Jen

Roberta Rosenberg said...

From my perspective, the difference is the quality of the commitment (that's how my Dad used to describe relationships.)

Adoption is a full-fledged commitment to a person and yes, I'd include pet here since the basic idea is the same. Namely, a promise nurture and provide for another living thing ... forever.

Sponorship, support, etc. don't carry the same quality of commitment, hence a less than flat-out relationship.

And thanks for the kind words about my site!