Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Hate, it's everywhere

One of my kids yelled down to my basement office to tell me there was someone at the door. Cursing under my breath since it was a dozen or more interruptions of my morning, I mumbled to myself up the stairs.

At the door was a Howard County police officer. Our neighborhood and part of the greater Clarksville/Columbia community woke up to spray painted hate on their homes, cars, and property.

"Did you hear or see anything last night or early this morning, m'am?"

I didn't nor did my husband. I wish I had, though, so I could do more than just feel disheartened.

Our house was left unmolested but the ugliness of racial, ethnic, religious, and gender hatred is everywhere today, even on the handpainted sign with our community name.

I never think "why us" since why not us? I simply think, "Yes, today it's our turn."

And how sad is that...

No comments: