Saturday, May 27, 2006

Video Game Addiction - Centered in South Korea

Washington Post had an article today (I'd give you the link but you need to register with WashingtonPost.com) about the growing addiction of South Koreans to video games. In part, this is a reaction to the academic pressures teens face in a hotly competitive educational environment, but the addiction is creeping into the adult population, as well.

Tragically, kids are dying. They won't eat, won't go to the bathroom, and some have died from sitting in a single position for several days.

I think about the extreme pressure on these kids in Korea compared to my work hard, live passionately attitude with my own children. I expect genuine effort but not perfection. College not in a child's future? No problem, you still have to find your meaning and you still have to work. Use your brains, don't forget your heart.

My laissez faire attitude runs a little counter to the community where we live, as well. Very competitive for grades, sports, etc and some kids have committed suicide over the pressure.

I tell my oldest there's nothing wrong with doing your first two years of college at the local community college and work part-time. Chances are you'll be taught by a full professor rather than a Teaching Assistant. Save your $$ (and mine) and be more thoughtful about what you want to do and where you want to go.

(A business friend of mine had his daughter at a top 20 university. She majored in Creative Writing. $150,000 for a degree in creative writing. CREATIVE WRITING! I have no problem if one of my kids decides to go into the trades. G-d knows, the world needs plumbers.)

I think about my youngest kids and wonder if the Korean educational system might have crushed their exuberant spirit.

1 comment:

Third Mom said...

I wonder about that too, Roberta, and wonder how they really would have done, both with their first families in Korea and in institutional settings. I think I'm too close to them to draw conclusions, but it's something both my husband and I have commented on many times.