Thursday, September 21, 2006

Korean Adoption Changes - Aussie View

This Australian article - Adoption Heartache for Hundreds - has been receiving a lot of online attention. A couple of things to keep in mind:

Australia only works with Eastern, and over the years the number of files (they call them allocations) has continued to decrease. (Similar to the US). The number of files for this prior to the announcement of the rule change has been quite small. Eastern notified Australia that they will not accept any files for the first 5 months of 2007 and will then review the situation as they wait for the 5 month ruling to come in. (One thing I didn't know is that Australia only allows the adoption of healthy children, no children with special needs.)

My sources tell me there is NO real news to report for US families at this time. Families who have already received referrals remain in process. When I learn more, I'll keep y'all posted.

No comments: